Saturday, December 17, 2005

Call me Ebert

I didn’t expect to like Finding Neverland, but I really did. I don’t like Johnny Depp, and I’m not sure why. Because I don’t like him, I tend to assume I won’t like any movies he is in. I am not sure where this came from, although most likely it is just some sort of backlash against other people thinking he is hot and therefore he is a great actor. Because other people think he is hot, I am compelled to dislike him. Now, this makes no sense, and I realize that, but that’s how I roll, baby.

So anyway, the movie. It made me cry, but not at the part(s) where I think the director wanted me to cry. I didn’t like the last 60 seconds at all. But it was really interesting and fun, and I would recommend it.

In other forms of entertainment, I just finished Saturday by Ian McEwan. I liked it much better than Atonement, which was only ok. The plot of Saturday is annoyingly predictable in certain ways, but I enjoyed the narrator’s thought process and analysis. There were also some thoughts on the war in Iraq that I thought were interesting, although this is certainly not a political book.

Other things I have seen recently: the first six episodes of the British version of The Office. I enjoy it, although I like the American version much better. Maybe that is because I am American. Or maybe it is because of my slight crush on Jim. Or perhaps it is because I saw the American version first, so I am used to it. Anyway, Gareth is awesome.

No comments: