Monday, November 14, 2005

Random Musings on Work

Don't you hate it when you get into the elevator and the only other person on the elevator with you smells like pot? And then the pot-smelling guy gets off the elevator and a senior partner at your law firm gets on, and the elevator still smells like pot? Don't you want to say, "The mailroom guy smelled like pot! It's not me!" but at the same time you don't want to be a weirdo or to draw attention to the scent of pot? Hypothetically, of course.

Things That Annoy Me
1. Guys who wear printed t-shirts under their dress shirts- I can totally read the t-shirt underneath, and it makes you look like a dork who doesn't understand the concept of dress shirts.
2. People who walk really slowly in the middle of the skyways during the lunch hour.
3. People who do not offer their seat on a crowded train or bus to an elderly person or mother with a little kid.
4. Pantyhose.
5. Women who have Super-80s-I-love-Whitesnake hairdos.
6. People who don't understand sarcasm.
7. Kate Spade purses - Why would I spend $200 or more on a purse that isn't even leather?
8. Having to work on the weekend.

Book I Am Currently Reading:

Random Family: Love, Drugs, Trouble, and Coming of Age in the Bronx by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc

It is a non-fiction book about this family growing up in the inner city Bronx. The author is a journalist who followed the members of a family for 10 years, through prison time, moves to upstate New York, tribulations of the welfare system, drug involvement, domestic and other kinds of violence, sexual abuse, and more. The story is so surreal that I keep forgetting these are real people. I do not know how they can live the way they do and survive, although I am sure they would not understand my life either. It was a little hard to get into, but I am now fascinated by the book.

No comments: