Thursday, June 15, 2006

A Whole Different Kind of Weekend Trip

Last weekend, we had a multi-hour plane trip across the country to San Francisco. (We flew Midwest, the airline with which I am now in love. Oh, the warm cookies! And the DigePlayers!)

This weekend, we are taking a short drive to H's hometown for his 10-year high school reunion. (I do not share the same love for either of our cars. And there will be no food or entertainment during the drive.) His graduating class was 23 people. He is still close with a few of the guys from his class and is looking forward to seeing them. These guys take an annual weekend trip to a cabin on a lake in different parts of Minnesota each year. It is interesting when the guys get together because they really don't have that much in common anymore, but they have this tight-knit bond because they went through so much together growing up. We moved around so much when I was growing up that the only person I really have that with is my sister. (And my San Francisco friend, to a lesser extent.)

Last time that I went out with H in his hometown, we went to some biker bar to meet up with his friends. A girl from his high school class was there; she was the first female from his class I had met (and the only one to this day). Since the guys spend most of their time together laughing hysterically about practical jokes they played on each other in the 9th grade, I tried to bond with the girl.

I said, "Hi, my name is R."

She asked, "Which NASCAR driver do you think is cuter: Some Guy or Some Other Guy?"

I answered, "Well, I don't really know anything about NASCAR."

And then she looked down her nose at me and walked away.

In other words, I will be taking lots of pictures this weekend!

9 comments:

Guinness_Girl said...

That sounds horrendous...

I think you should drink while taking those pictures.

-R- said...

It will (hopefully) be really fun for H, so I will have fun because he will be having fun. His guy friends are extremely nice, and one has a wife that I really like. But there will DEFINITELY be alcohol involved!

PreppyGirl said...

Sounds like you have an interesting weekend ahead of you...

We expect a full report!

Stefanie said...

I'm going to guess that one of the guys was Matt Kenseth, but I have no idea who the second one might have been, nor do I even know if I spelled that name right. I do know he's #17, though.

(My dad's a NASCAR fan; that's the ONLY reason I know this. Yesterday I was trying to prove I knew SOMETHING about sports. Today I should probably deny the little knowledge I have...)

don't call me MA'AM said...

Nascar. ICK. Sorry, I would rather eat lint than watch cars race around and around and around.

Please do take some good photos. Class reunions are always a good guarantee that someone will make an arse out of him/herself. :-)

Anonymous said...

Are you serious? She abandoned you because of no NASCAR? I mean, uh, OMG.

Anonymous said...

Oh - don't you just love it when you go to reunions like that...I guess that is why we only visited my Sweethearts home-town once since we have been married (and we have been married 23 years - lol)...

Congrats on your bronze medal - it is ready for 'pick-up'. Thank you so much for playing.

Unknown said...

They all can't be like her, can they?

I stopped by to say thanks for playing in the Blog Olympics Training Camp!

Floyd said...

Okay, I have to say that as a Nascar fan myself - the right answer would have been "Some Other Guy" because "Some Guy" is totally, totally gay and it's totally, totally not cool to like him. Totally.

You might need to go with you next time to avoid these embarassing social situations.

Glad to have found your blog!