Saturday, November 24, 2007

Swedish Adventures






I took my mom and her boyfriend to the American Swedish Institute today to entertain them. My mom loves going through historic mansions, and I enjoy it as well. This mansion was completed in 1908 and was crazy gorgeous with elaborate woodwork and porcelain fireplaces in 11 of the 33 rooms. Each room had furniture from the 1880s-1930s and artifacts from Swedish immigrants, but I would have preferred it if the museum showed each room as it would have been decorated/used in the early 1900s. I guess I was less interested in the general Swedish-American experience and more interested in the mansion. None of us is Swedish, but it was still interesting, and we had a good time.

4 comments:

Laura B said...

I love touring historic mansions, too. What a beautiful home!

Just Jinny said...

Wow! That looks like an awesome place to explore. Makes me want to travel and do some sight-seeing.

L Sass said...

I love to go to the Swedish Institute when they decorate each room for Christmas... I especially like the little cafe downstairs where a 100 year old volunteer "sells" coffee and cookies!

Anonymous said...

If I am ever in your area I am going to have to take Matt there. He is Swedish (well you know, in ancestry at least) and there isn't a lot of stuff/places that celebrate his heritage! It looks like a really cool and beautiful place.