Thursday, April 06, 2006

Insert Clever Title Here

When I was younger, I was the worst goody-two-shoes you could imagine. I thought all my teachers were the most awesome people ever. (Until 5th grade. My 5th grade teacher was a little old mean lady who hated kids. Mrs. Virgilio. She was less than 5 feet tall, in high heels, which she wore every day. Her name was Minnie. Heh.)

When I was in fourth grade, someone in my class was being really annoying or dumb, and the teacher ending up saying, "Do you know what happens when you assume? You make an ass out of you and me."

I was SHOCKED and MORTIFIED! I could not believe that a teacher said ASS! I went home and told my mom, expecting her to call the principal immediately. Instead, my mom was totally nonplused. Her response was, "Oh." This was basically the biggest scandal in the history of my 9-year-old life, and my mom's response was, "Oh."

In first grade, the teacher wrote my name on the board because I was talking during a math lesson. But I was just helping the boy next to me who didn't understand what we were supposed to be doing. It was so unfair!!! I was near tears at the embarrassment of having my name on the board and the injustice of it all. I think getting your name on the board was some kind of warning, and then if you got a checkmark next to your name, something happened. Why did I think that was a punishment at the time?

Insert amusing conclusion here. I am having a hard day, guys, bear with me. And post some comments!

3 comments:

Carol said...

This was basically the biggest scandal in the history of my 9-year-old life, and my mom's response was, "Oh."

Good for you, Miss Goody-Two-Shoes! (You are or were? an idealist.)

It hurts to get punished unfairly.

Stephen Cummings said...

At the university I get paid to be at, the "a" word and the "f" word have been known to come out of professor's mouths. Now, that's not scandalous to me now, but it caught me off guard when I was 18 and an undergrad in the late '80s. How's that for goody-two-shoes...

-R- said...

Carol,
My mom knew my teacher pretty well because my mom was very involved in our school, so I am sure my mom was just willing to cut the teacher some slack. Plus, I was pretty much a drama queen at that age (maybe I still am, a little)!

Stephen,
Your comment made me laugh. =)