Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Internet Nerd Herd

H was talking about my blog last night, and he said, "It seems like you get a lot of comments from the internet nerd herd."* At first, I thought he was just referring to anyone who had a blog. But then I realized he meant the FFMB. I love it though. I am going to refer to all bloggers as part of the Internet Nerd Herd.

So I have a question for you Internet Nerd Herd (or INH, as I feel we are close enough that I can call you by your nickname). Is commenting on the blogs of people you don't know a strange thing to do? I love when people comment on my blog! But when I post a comment on a stranger's blog, I feel kind of stalker-y. I don't know why. It's not like the person doesn't have a blog where they publish stories for the whole world to read! But I worry that the blogger will wonder, Who the heck is this person, and why the heck is she commenting on my blog?! Which, if that is what the blogger is thinking, I don't know why that matters. But tell me, INH, is there proper etiquette for commenting? And what is the rule for linking to other sites?

*To H, this really isn't an insult. He has nicknames for everyone and for my little sub-groups of friends. There are several reasons why I think I have to embrace the nerd label:

Your results:You are Spider-Man
Spider-Man

90%
Superman

70%
Robin

55%
Wonder Woman

52%
Hulk

50%
Supergirl

47%
Green Lantern

40%
The Flash

25%
Catwoman

25%
Iron Man

25%
Batman

10%

You are intelligent, witty,
a bit geeky and have great
power and responsibility.



Click here to take the Superhero Personality Quiz







Pure Nerd
73 % Nerd, 8% Geek, 26% Dork
For The Record:

A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored better than half in Nerd, earning you the title of: Pure Nerd.

The times, they are a-changing. It used to be that being exceptionally smart led to being unpopular, which would ultimately lead to picking up all of the traits and tendences associated with the "dork." No-longer. Being smart isn't as socially crippling as it once was, and even more so as you get older: eventually being a Pure Nerd will likely be replaced with the following label: Purely Successful.

Congratulations!


6 comments:

Carol said...

It is okay and even desirable to get bloggers that you aren't yet familiar with to leave comments. Then you can get to know them.
Link to anybody. It is a compliment, I believe.
However, changing FFMB to INH? Nah...

Stefanie said...

I agree; it's totally fine to comment on someone's site even if you don't know them. (I must think so, or I wouldn't be leaving a comment on yours right now!) ;-)

Personally I'd rather get comments from people I don't know than continually see the same IP addresses in my sitemeter statistics and wonder who the heck is visiting every day but not saying anything!

-R- said...

Carol,
I don't think you should change FFMB to INH either. I like calling everyone on the INH though.

Stefanie,
That is a good point. Now you know who those scary lurkers are! (And the answer is: me!)

Jasclo said...

nah, bring on your comments! we all like them because it tells us people are actually reading the crap we throw out into the universe.

Stefanie said...

Yeah, what Jasclo said. If we're putting stuff out there, it's nice to know someone's responding to it.

And I just added a comment in response to your comment on my post from the other day. Thought I'd mention that in case you don't look back at that post again.

Oh, and I don't think you're a scary lurker (though you might think I'm one now, for coming back to comment on the same thing I already commented on). I'll stop now...

-R- said...

Thanks, everyone! I will fear commenting no more!